Thursday, March 20, 2008

Cartoon of the Hour



I've redrawn this one a half-dozen times in the last 5 years. ( And I keep sending it out ) I personally like it.
As Sam Gross told Lee Lorenz, then the cartoon editor of The New Yorker, years ago . . as Lee was looking at one of his cartoons in his office, Lee remarked: " Haven't you shown this one to me before ? " Knowing Sam, he quickly replied: " Yeah . . and you're gonna KEEP seeing it till you buy it ! " I love it. This story came out in one of Mort Gerberg's books on Cartooning. Great tale, love it! I talked to both Mort and Sam about the story and they both love it also.

3 comments:

DON CRESCI CARTOONS said...

Damn you're a great artist! Your detail is amazing.

Roy Delgado said...

Don,
You're too kind.
I wish I had the artistic talent of a combination of drawing styles of Sempe, Sam Gross, Cheney ( Not Vice-President Cheney ), Jack Zeigler,the sophistication of the late Handlesman, the marketing skills of The Mankoffer, the loose confident brush of Sid Harris, the huevos of a Pat Byrnes . . I'm getting off track . . hold it . . it's starting to get off track. . .

Anonymous said...

New Yorker tales are always fascinating. Roy - thank you for the signed copy of your book. Great stuff. And, of course, I love your blog.