Friday, January 1, 2010

Starting the year right ?



Can you picture yourself dying and then just try to visualize yourself in front of the Big Fella . . I mean, what else IS there to say . . ? ( You WANT to ask him but you refrain from asking: " Did YOU understand ALL of the New Yorker cartoons . . now don't lie . . Scouts honor . . did you ? " ) 

But you KNOW, you just KNOW it's not a good idea . . so you drop the stupid plan . .  right there, in just that one fleeting moment, you know you may never have that chance again, but it's gone forever . . forever . . eternity is a long time. 

You had your chance and you blew it , Roy . As Marlon Brando, in the character of Terry Malloy ( the washed up punch-drunk ex-prizefighter ) in " On the Waterfront " told his brother Charlie, played by Rod Steiger, while riding in the back of the cab . . After Rod was telling Terry he did all right . . . in the long scheme of things . .  And that it was that stupid manager's fault he had, because he brought him up too fast . . 

Brando shot back . . " That manager's fault ?  It was YOU, Charlie . . it was YOU . . you were my big brother, you shoulda watched out for me . . it was YOU . . Remember that night in the Garden ? ( Madison Square Garden ) . . You came into my dressing room 'n said: " This ain't your night, we're going for the price on Wilson . . . . This ain't my NIGHT ? ! . . I coulda taken Wilson apart . . it was YOU, Charlie . . What does HE get . . A title shot in the ball park . . and what do I get ? . . A one-way ticket to Palookaville . . It was YOU, Charlie . . "

Marlon continues . . " I coulda had CLASS, I coulda been a CONTENDER . . I coulda been SOMEbody . . instead of a BUM, which is what I am, let's face it . .   It was YOU, Charlie . . "   

No comments: