Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Reminder on rejection and persistence

 Thanks to Writer's Digest, from a short piece a few years ago . . by Miryam Williamson.  The focus and title of the short lesson, I think, perfect for cartoonists was: ZEN AND THE ART OF PERSISTENCE.

   I keep a copy of it handy when outside forces and other people's opinions have a way of creeping in to try to rain on your parade . . article went . .  

ROBERT PERSIG sent ZEN AND THE ART OF MOTORCYCLE MAINTENANCE to niney-two publishers before it found a home . .  you read right . . 92 publishers before it found a home.  I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't heard him say it myself  ( On NPR, not to me ).  You and I should be so unsuccessful.

Keep on sending that manuscript out.  Have a plan to send it to someone else when and if it comes back.  Make a list and work your way through it.  Don't let a returned manuscript sit on your desk for more than 24 hours.  Don't give up.  There's a publisher for every book that has a writer's skill and love in it.

No comments: