Saturday, June 7, 2008

Fred Lasswell & Snuffy Smith in Wash. D.C.

This sketch was made on my trusty sketch pad by Fred Lasswell at the NCS Reception held at The Washington Press Club in Washington D.C. on April 18,1986. The Semper Fi in the balloon means Always Faithful
( Actually it was shortened from SEMPER FIDELIS )
in Latin and is part of the U.S. Marine Logo. Fred was an ex-Marine as myself,
and after a couple drinks and a couple
war stories Fred drew the famous loveable hillbilly.

We were both a little bit looped and we traded business cards. Funny thing, about a week later I get a long-distance call from Fred in Florida and he asked me how I knew him, since he just came across my business card in his pocket ! I told him it was at the NCS bash!
That explains it, he said ! We chatted a little and said goodbye. He passed away a few years ago. He was gregarious and funny sober OR 6 sheets to the wind ( or is it seven sheets ? ).





No comments: